It's been an fascinating journey. India is all at once mad, colourful, magical, pungent, ordered and illogical. It's hard to make sense of it.
In our travels we've encountered camels in the desert, pesky monkeys, holy cows, poor mangy hounds and Tim the gecko.
We've slept on a train, under the stars, in a palace and in plenty of cheap and mostly cheery digs.
We've eaten chapatis like there's no tomorrow, rasam (dhal-based broth) that nearly blew our heads clean off, samosas from street vendors and never once tired of palak paneer.
Kingfisher was king, cosmopolitans were a surprise treat and I'm not sure when I'll be able to face another chai.
We've learned that when it comes to Indian road rules, there are no rules!
The Golden Temple experience in Amritsar was a highlight, so too were the markets of the Himalayan hill station of Shimla, the sunset boat ride on the holy Ganges (where we set candles afloat with well wishes), the hundreds of kites sweetly drifting in the Varanasi sky at dusk, the sleeper train through the desert to Jaisalmer and the madness of Delhi on day one.
Travel never fails to enrich and this trip is no exception.
I won't miss the pollution, the smell of urine on every corner or the constant stares. That said, I look forward to returning to India someday for another dose and to let it sink in some more.
We're in Malaysia now where the plan is to read a John Grisham novel (or two), by the pool, in the steamy KL weather (my hair is starting to look like Monica's in the episode of Friends when they go to Barbados).
Thanks for checking in on us.
We'll post photos very soon.
See you next week.
Namasta.
Fermilenge.
xox
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It just goes to prove how shallow I am that the post that has moved me to comment is the one that deals with humidity's effects on the coiffure. I had a similar problem after seeing The Charlatans in a rather sweaty pub this week.
Glad you enjoyed yourselves -- sorry you have to come back to work (boo) but glad to have you back safe.
Cheers,
Sarah
Post a Comment